Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My name is Vayne, I am an Alchemist

With the approaching release of Mana Khemia 2, I've decided to take a look back at the game that features the greatest battle system I've ever played. Technically (as best as I've put together) Mana Khemia 1 and 2 take place long before Atelier Iris 2. To be exact... I think the proper timeline is Mana Khemia 1, Mana Khemia 2, Atelier Iris 2, and then Atelier Iris 1. Atelier Iris 3... It is often said... takes place in another dimension dispite the resounding similarities of the "Iris" in 2 and 3; but oh well back to Mana Khemia!

When I learned of Cross Edge, the popular cross over game on Playstation 3, having a few of the characters from Mana Khemia 2 I began to wonder... why not one? MK2 isn't even out in the states yet (not that it stopped me from enjoying the characters!) and MK1 was an extreme hit with the "Atelier Fanbase". I thought that such memorable characters like Vayne, Anna, and even Roxis should have been in it for sure!

As I stated before, Mana Khemia 1 brought to me the greatest battle engine I'd ever played in my life; and I've played a TON of games. It brightens the soul of an old-schooler to see a game with so many wonderous features like MK1 that didn't try to destroy it with cinamatics and other extremely unneeded junk like other game lines... the "Atelier-Series" productions keep true to what a real RPG feel is. If my book ever hits the point where I can finish my goal and have it turned into a videogame... I would hope that Gust/Salburg(whatever you wish to call them all) would consider taking it.

So why revisit Mana Khemia 1? When I bought the game I only completed one story arc... and that was Anna's. I ended up Youtube-ing the rest of the ending arcs to see what happens. This of course isn't going to be enough for me. I wish to play through the game one more time before the release of MK2. I'll be lending MK1 to a friend of mine tonight so that they can see what the story is all about before MK2 since Cross Edge kinda addicted him to the story. (He's a fan of Raze & Lily)

So which story to take? I was thinking of Pamela or Jessica. Mostly because Pamela has been a constant laughter throughout the Atelier Iris series, and Jessica is supposed to be the main cannon I'd imagine. To be honest I don't really use Nikki or Muppy, I leave them out. I don't have anything strong against them but they don't do the job like Roxis or Flay in my party design. Be damned if you think I'd take Anna out of my party also!


Finally for now... I'd like to point out my favorite of the 3 Atelier Iris games. I think that Atelier Iris 2 should have also made a bit of the cut in Cross Edge. Not to discredit the main figure of the Atelier series, Marie, but perhaps she could have been either replaced or complimented by another alchemist like Viese. Although I always thought Klein (Atelier Iris 1) was an awful alchemist, I'm glad he didn't appear. (For note... I always said the reason he was the only one that could use the alchemy items in 1 was because he was so terrible only he knew how his junk worked!) Also, the reappearance of the Azure & Crimson Azoth Swords would have been exciting as all hell I think! Felt would have made an awesome character to have and that would have disrupted my Cross Edge team something crazy. My final party build was Lyner, Raze, Meu, and Misha. I guess I would have replaced Meu for Felt. Call me totally on the side of Gust's characters at that point.

This concludes this installment of my views once again. Please feel free to comment as you like and share your oppinions!

No comments: